Obituaries March 9, 2016

 -  -  2

Lois Elnora Guyette

Lois Elnora Guyette, 92, of Newport died peacefully on February 29, 2016, in Newport.

She was born on September 2, 1923, in North Troy to Melvin and Mary (Duffy) Dunn. She graduated from North Troy High School.

She married Merrill Guyette, who predeceased her.

She was a seamstress for the former Bogner USA of Newport.

Her hobbies included quilting, reading, and she also had a vast knowledge of local history.

She is survived by her children: David Guyette and his wife, Carol, of Newport Center, Casey York of Hooksett, New Hampshire, Robert Guyette of North Troy, John Guyette and his wife, Lisa, of North Troy, and Melinda Wood, who was a longtime companion of her son James Guyette. She is also survived by her stepchildren: Marilyn Currier, Merrill and his wife, Kathy, Maurice and his wife, Kathy, Muriel Dunn, and Mary Gagnon; her brother James Dunn and his wife, Barbara, of Lakeland, Florida; and by her multiple grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased by her son James Guyette; her sisters: Fratia Marsh, Dorothy, and Roberta Dunn; and by a brother, Grover Dunn.

A celebration of her life was held on March 4, in Newport. Spring interment will be in the St. Joseph’s Cemetery in Woodsville, New Hampshire.

Should friends desire, contributions in her memory may be made to the Mary Wright Halo Fund, 1073 Upper Quarry Road, Newport, Vermont 05855.

Online condolences at

obit-Morin-2Claude J. Morin

Claude J. Morin, 65, of Holland died on March 2, 2016, in Burlington.

He was born on July 26, 1950, a son of Leonard and Agathe (Audet) Morin.

Mr. Morin owned CJM Farm Equipment for 36 years.

He loved going to farm auctions, going to Florida, and he loved life on the road, watching sports, and, most importantly, he loved his two children very much.  He was loved and adored by his family, especially his children.

He was a successful, self-made businessman who was passionate about his work, family, and friends. He was always the life of the party and he loved to socialize and talk with anyone he met. He was kind, funny, smart, and endlessly loving. He will forever be missed and in our hearts.

He is survived by his two children: Whitney Morin and her wife, Sarah Chaisson-Warner, of Nashua, New Hampshire, and Matthew Morin of Holland; his fiancée, Johanne Lampron, of Montreal, Quebec; his brothers and sisters: Donald Morin and his wife, Bonnie, of Richmond, Gilles Morin of Holland, Richard Morin and his wife, Helen, of Morgan, Yolande Bronson and her husband, Tim, of Derby, Rene Morin of Holland, Mark Morin of Derby, Celine Rathe and her husband, Eddie, of Colchester, Gerald Morin and his wife, Caroline, of Merrimack, New Hampshire, Andre Morin of Holland, and Johnny Morin of Holland; and by numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, and uncles.

He was predeceased by his parents, Leonard and Agathe Morin; and by his brother Normand Morin.

Funeral services were held on March 5 in Derby Line. Spring interment will be held at St. Edward’s Cemetery in Derby Line.

Should friends desire, contributions in his memory may be made to the Vermont Kidney Association, P.O. Box 244, Burlington, Vermont 05401.

Online condolences at

obit-ParenteauEdward J. Parenteau Sr.

Edward Joseph Parenteau Sr., 89, of Derby, a very kind and gentle soul, died on February 26, 2016, at his home surrounded by his family.

He was born on September 7, 1926, in Montgomery Center, to Leo and Anna (Guyette) Parenteau.

As a 17-year-old sailor, Mr. Parenteau ferried troops onto Omaha Beach during the D-Day Invasion on June 6, 1944. He and other men aboard the landing craft were greeted by blistering German artillery fire. The dead and dying soon filled the ocean and beach. Mr. Parenteau miraculously survived unscathed.

He was a child of the Great Depression. He understood the importance of hard work. As a youngster he lived in Newport for a couple of summers and worked as a bellhop at the Newport House, which was located on Main Street. He used to laugh at how he looked like a little Philip Morris cigarette sales boy in his blue uniform with gold trim, including a gold trimmed hat. Much of his earnings went toward helping his family survive the tough economic times.

Anybody who knew Mr. Parenteau, knows he was a patriotic man. The tattoo on his left arm said it all: Death before Dishonor. When Japanese Forces bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, an event which launched the United States into World War II, although only in his early teens, Mr. Parenteau was ready to defend his country. Much to the concern but reluctant acceptance of his parents, in 1943, he lied about his age and enlisted in the U.S. Navy when he was only 16. He was stationed aboard LST 337, a troop and equipment transport and landing ship. Shortly before sunrise on D-Day, he slipped into a much smaller landing craft, a LCVP. With a crew of four, they ferried hundreds of servicemen right up to Omaha Beach. Mr. Parenteau was often asked by area teachers to visit their classrooms to talk about his wartime experiences, a request he almost always accepted. His story was also featured in various publications, including the Burlington Free Press and Vermont’s Northland Journal. He was also interviewed by WCAX News, and the Northeast Kingdom Voice television program. Although a very proud veteran and interviewed by many, he always remained humble. He and his wife, Shirley, also enjoyed attending LST reunions, and in 2004 the two of them, along with a group of other area World War II veterans, traveled to Washington, D.C., to visit the newly unveiled National World War II Memorial. After being discharged from the Navy in 1946, Mr. Parenteau had the entrepreneurial spirit running through his blood. Among many endeavors, he was an accomplished carpenter, building a number of area homes. And as an airplane pilot, he, along with Cecil Wright, founded Newport Air Freight in Coventry. He also founded Northeast Canoe, making countless high quality canoes. Between 1990 and 1996, he and his wife owned The Brown Cow restaurant in Newport. Before he finally retired, he drove cars for Key Auto and Hayes Ford.

He and his wife were married on March 14, 1989. They were married for almost 27 years. He enjoyed time with his family and friends and traveling to Alaska to visit and go King Salmon fishing.

Mr. Parenteau would gather with his World War II buddies at the Irving Oil in Derby Line where they drank coffee and solved the problems of the world on a daily basis. His buddy Joe Queenin of Derby Line is now the only survivor of this group of friends.

He is survived by his wife, Shirley, and his sisters and their spouses: Amelia and Francis Ormsbee, and Glennis and Tom Barry. He leaves many loving memories to be cherished forever by his children: Edward J. Parenteau Jr., Alan Parenteau, Gary Parenteau, Debra Lawes, and Roger Parenteau; his grandchildren: Shelby, Katlin, Travis, and Tara Parenteau, Torie Bingham, and Sara Schifilliti, Crystal Millspaugh, and Karen and Kevin Lawes; his great-grandchildren: Tripp Schifilliti, Autumn Millspaugh, and Kristen Chilafoux; his stepchildren: Faye MacFarlane, Lance, Tim, and Karl Loukes; his step-grandchildren: Megan Kelley, Jhasmine Lamb, and Porsche Nicely; his step-great-grandchildren: Chelsea, Landyn, Rohan, Chevelle, Kobe, and Kara.

He was predeceased by his parents, Leo and Anna Guyette; and by his brothers: Melvin, Raymond, Leo, and Merle Parenteau.

Funeral services were held on March 5 in Newport. Spring interment will be with full military honors.

Should friends desire, contributions in his memory may be made to the Orleans-Essex Visiting Nurse Association and Hospice, Inc., 46 Lakemont Road, Newport, Vermont.

Online condolences at

obit-Perron-1Ruth Menard Perron

Ruth Menard Perron, 86, of Newport, died at the Derby Green Health Care Facility on Sunday, March 6, 2016.

She was born in Coventry on October 31, 1929, to George and Martha (Dupuis) Menard.

She married her high school sweetheart, Leo Perron, on March 29, 1948. He predeceased her on May 1, 2014.

She was primarily a housewife who took great pride in caring for her home and children. She loved the outdoors and enjoyed walks in the woods, especially finding that perfect Christmas tree.

She is survived by her daughters: Jeannine Mislak and her husband, Jody, of Plainfield, and JoAnne Lalime and her husband, Mark, of Hyde Park; her grandchildren: Michael and Mandy Mislak, Stephanie and Matt Kevin, Jillian Gray and her fiancé, Tyler Cochran, and Jonathan and Amy Gray; her great-grandchildren: Sawyer and Mollie Mislak, Conor and Bryce Kevin, Gabriella Cochran, and Austin Gray.

She was predeceased by her son Leo Ernest; a sister, Pauline Gaboriault; and by her step-siblings: Mariette Hamel, Iselle Goddard, and Laurent Menard.

Friends may call from 9 to 10:30 a.m. on Friday, March 11, at the Curtis-Britch-Converse-Rushford Funeral Home at 4670 Darling Hill Road in Newport. Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on March 11, at St. Mary’s Star of the Sea Catholic Church in Newport, where a Mass will be celebrated. Spring interment will be in Westlook Cemetery in Glover.

Should friends desire, contributions in her memory may be made to the Relay For Life, American Cancer Society, care of Leslye Kenney, 55 Day Lane, Williston, Vermont 05495.

Online condolences at

obit-ulmanCornelius M. “Neil” Ulman

Neil Ulman of Craftsbury died on February 27, 2016, at the University of Vermont Medical Center in Burlington after a stroke. He was 77.

He and his wife, Barbara, moved to Craftsbury in 1996 from Huntington, New York, as his long career as a reporter and editor with The Wall Street Journal was winding down. He loved the outdoors and was known to many as an enthusiastic skier and rower at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center. Having earlier been a sailor for many years, he took up flying in 2001. After earning his pilot license and instrument rating, he took dozens of friends, neighbors, and relatives up for scenic flights. He was active with the Catamount Trail Association and served on the board of the Craftsbury Chamber Players. He was a member of the East Craftsbury Presbyterian Church. In recent years he returned to his interest in writing poetry. Some of his poems appeared in the Chronicle.

Mr. Ulman was born in 1939 in New York City to Morrison and Katharine (Strong) Ulman. He grew up in Syosset, New York, and graduated from The Hill School in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, in 1956. He graduated from Princeton University in 1960 and served two years in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant, junior grade. In 1962 he joined The Wall Street Journal as a reporter in New York. There he met Barbara and they were married in 1963. He was posted to London, England, in 1970. From the London office he covered Europe, Russia, the Middle East, and Africa. He returned to the U.S. in 1976 as Boston bureau chief and then moved back to New York where he was foreign editor and later senior international correspondent, travelling to Japan, China, South Africa, Argentina, and Brazil among other places. In the mid-1980s he was the head of the group of reporters covering science, technology, and the oil industry.

Among many other adventures he went dogsledding in the Canadian Northwest Territories to report on diamond mining and sailed from Bermuda to New York in a small boat to report on the Gulf Stream. He reported from British and U.S. Navy vessels and from an oil supertanker. In 1995 he participated in a winter camping course in the mountains above Jackson, Wyoming. Altitude sickness laid him low and he had to recover for months at home. (He did file the story, though.) That’s when he determined to move to Craftsbury.

He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Barbara; his son Nick of Los Altos, California; his daughter, Katharine Mertens, of Portland, Oregon; his grandchildren: Blair Mertens and Tessie Ulman; his sister Katharine Brush of Princeton, New Jersey; his brother Stephen Van R. Ulman of Greenport, New York; and by many nieces and nephews.

A memorial will be held in the summer.

In lieu of flowers, contributions in his memory may be made to Craftsbury Chamber Players.

obit-veraAdam Vera

Adam J. Vera, 29, died unexpectedly on Tuesday, March 1, 2016, in Johnson.

He was born on May 13, 1986, in Providence, Rhode Island. He was the second son born to Albert and Susan Vera.

He graduated from North County Union High School in 2004 and earned degrees in both chemistry and music in 2009 from Ithaca College in Ithaca, New York.

At the time of his death, he was employed as a lab technician at Haematologic Technologies in Essex Junction.

Outside of work, music and mountains were his true passions. Trained as a classical guitarist, he played electric and bass guitar as well as drums. A quote attributed to him on Facebook has him saying that “everybody should have a set of drums in their living space.”

As an outdoorsman, he was known as a fellow who liked to go solo. He liked climbing mountains and finding his own way. A Thanksgiving Day tradition for him was to hike Burke Mountain in the morning. If there was snow on the ground, he could be seen carrying his snowboard on his back so that when he came back down the mountain, he would be flying across snow where no one had been or seen.

At Burke he also taught others as a snowboard instructor. In the summer he skateboarded and hiked whenever he could find the time. As a hiker, he had a unique style that saw him more than once climb Mount Mansfield wearing flip-flops.

In Johnson, he played in pick-up bands, and is remembered by his band mates as someone who was generous with his skills. He had a memorable presence.

A friend from college remembered him showing up at a wedding, describing him as “gorgeous, smiling, and sorta flirting with my mom.”

Another bid her final respects by wishing him an afterlife surrounded by mountains and guitars.

He leaves behind his mother, Susan Vera, of Island Pond; his father, Albert Vera, of Bennington; his brothers: Aaron Vera and his wife, Lindsay, of Troy, New York, and Andrew Vera of Island Pond; as well as relatives and friends far and near.

All are invited to a gathering on Saturday, March 12, from 12 to 4 p.m. at the American Legion in Island Pond to share the times they had with Adam.

obit-walcottMarilyn (Rublee) (Sharp) Walcott

Marilyn (Rublee) (Sharp) Walcott, 90, died on February 27, 2016, in Essex.

She was born in Enosburg Falls to Glenn W. and Lillian (Towle) Rublee. Later, her father married Elgie.

She worked several jobs before marrying Walter M. Sharp in 1950. Mr. Sharp died shortly after their daughter Cindy was born. Ever strong, she raised Cindy alone, working at the University of Vermont, until she married Alden D. Walcott in 1958. Together, they had three children: Carlton, Stephen, and Mary.

After some years at home, she worked for Encyclopedia Britannica, selling educational materials to schools and libraries around the state.

She lived in Essex Junction for 65 years. She was active in church and community. She was on the Brownell Library board during fund-raising to build the library addition. She and her husband summered at Shadow Lake in Glover. She researched the history of the camps there and she published Reflections on Shadow Lake in 1998. For 20 years, the couple wintered in Venice, Florida. They also travelled extensively.

Ms. Walcott was caring and had a quick mind. She was interested in people, asking questions about the lives of everyone she encountered. She loved her garden and playing bridge. She was an expert seamstress. She was always busy with some project!

She is survived by her daughter Cindy Walcott and her husband, Michael Alger, of Grand Isle, and their children: Emily and Asa; her son Carlton and his wife, Laure, of Essex Junction, and their children: Sarah, Keith, and Ashley; her son Stephen and his wife, Shari, of Fairfax, and their children: Jack and Kyle Gagnon; her daughter Mary Lasher of Columbia, Maryland, and her children: Ben and Sophie; and by her seven great-grandchildren.

She was predeceased by her husband, Alden; and by her sister Leah Cramton.

2 recommended
bookmark icon