Obituaries October 30, 2013

 -  -  1

obit AllisonGeorge E. Allison

Commander George E. Allison, United States Navy retired, 88, beloved husband and father, died on Wednesday, October 23, 2013, from a heart attack, in Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut.

He was born on October 8, 1925, in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, to Clyde and Hazel Allison.  On completion of high school he entered the V12 program and attended Missouri State Teachers College in Kansas, and the University of Southern California.  He completed his Bachelor of Arts degree from George Washington University in 1959.  After flight training at Pensacola and Jacksonville Naval Air Station in Florida, his first assignment was at Quonset Point, Rhode Island.

In 1948, he married Jan Blanchard of Newport.

Mr. Allison enjoyed an illustrious career as a Naval aviator, including duty as a flight desk officer on attack aircraft carrier U.S.S. Intrepid (from 1959 to 1961) and executive officer of F8 (Crusader) squadron at Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia (from 1962 to 1964).  From 1964 to 1968, he served in the National Command Center in the Pentagon as area operations officer and briefer for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  And in 1968, he served as Naval representative to U.S. and NATO commanders, to the joint coordination center, Europe, outside London, England.  His last assignment was as assistant Naval representative NAVPRO at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft.  After 31 years, he retired from the U.S. Navy.  After retirement, he worked for a short time as office manager for Children’s Eye Center.

He was committed to volunteer work and helping others. He spent many years volunteering with Meals on Wheels, Samaritan’s Suicide Prevention Hot Line, and the early efforts to restore the Connecticut River through the Connecticut River Recapture Project.  He was a devout and active member of Trinity Lutheran Church for over 40 years, serving on various boards and participating in the church renovation.

He was a wonderful father to his two daughters, Lauren and Cynthia, and a devoted and loving husband to his wife, Jan.

In his early years, he enjoyed tennis, chess, driving his TR3 sports car, and in later years relished his summers at their cottage on Lake Memphremagog in Newport.

He is survived by his wife, Jan; his daughters Lauren Allison Fisher and her husband, Stephen, of West Hartford, Connecticut, and Cynthia Allison Miezis and her husband, Ron, and their children, Aleksandra and Grant, of Olney, Maryland; his sister Mary Hulbert of Dillsburg, Pennsylvania; his niece Linda Tomkinson; and by his nephews: the Reverend David and Daniel Miller and their families.

Funeral services were held on October 28, in Vernon, Connecticut.  A private family interment will be held in Pine Grove Cemetery in Newport.

Memorial donations may be made to Trinity Lutheran Church, 20 Meadowlark Road, Vernon, Connecticut 06066.

For online condolences and a guestbook, please visit, or

obit bemisGlendon Evart Bemis

Glendon Evart Bemis, 92, died on Sunday, October 20, 2013.

He had been visited by loved ones that day and shared some beautiful memories with his sons and family friends.

He was born on January 1, 1921, in Cavendish, to Harry and Ina Bemis.

He lived his life with a passion for the simple things.  He was of the last graduating class from Black River Academy, and was part of the junior league high school basketball champion team in 1938.  He joined the military by means of the Army shortly thereafter and was quickly sent to participate in World War II.  He returned home after the war and then married Constance Knudsen (Bemis) in 1962.

Of his greatest enjoyments in life that he shared with everyone he loved, his most enjoyed was trout fishing at one of his favorite places, Knapp Pond in Cavendish, and also Crystal Lake in Barton, where he spent 21 years living in his cabin on the lake.  He was also an avid partridge hunter and trapping enthusiast and imparted that passion on to his two sons and granddaughter alike.

He loved high school basketball (Indiana) and major league baseball as a St. Louis Cardinals fan since he was a child.

He saw the good in everyone and everything and was always welcomed with a smile from everyone he saw.  As a man of great strength and perseverance, he showed everyone what life is really about just by living it the way he saw fit and he enjoyed a wonderful long run on this earth.  He was and is an asset to his small family and we will miss him dearly day in and day out.

He is survived by his two sons:  Glendon Scott Bemis Jr. of Chester, and Shawn Bemis of Tyson; his granddaughter Meagan Cobleigh of Chester; his sister-in-law Helen Bemis of Rutland; and by his former wife Constance Bemis of Ludlow.

He was predeceased by his brother Wallace Bemis.

A graveside service was held on October 26, at the Cavendish cemetery.  A celebration of his life followed at American Legion Post #36 in Ludlow, of which he was a 60-year member, with military honors.

obit CadyFrancis “Frank” Charles Cady

Francis “Frank” Charles Cady, 72, of Hardwick died peacefully on October 25, 2013, at his home, in the care of Eric and Julie, after a long battle with cancer.

He was born on July 15, 1942, in Woodbury, to Nellie (Richardson) and Cleon Cady Sr.

He was a logger during his lifetime.

He enjoyed fishing, hunting, NASCAR, listening to country music, baseball, and spending time with his family.

He is survived by his children:  Duane Blair, David Cady, James Cady, Lisa Small, Julie Upton, Eric Cady, and Aaron Cady; many grandchildren and great-grandchildren; his mother Nellie Cady of Hardwick; his brother Richard Cady; his sisters:  Beverly Patrick and Lucille Foss; and by many extended family members.

He was predeceased by his son Francis Blair; and by his brothers:  Cleon Cady Jr., Raymond Cady, and Robert Cady.

Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m., on Sunday, November 3, at the Curtis-Britch & Davis Funeral Home in Craftsbury Common, with Pastor Al Lamos officiating.  Friends may call at the funeral home on November 3, from 1 p.m. until the hour of the funeral.  Interment will follow in Taylor Cemetery in Wolcott.

Should friends desire, contributions in his memory may be made to Lamoille Area Cancer Network, Inc., 198 Demars Road, Morrisville, Vermont 05661.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at

obit MarkwellFlorean R. Markwell

Florean R. Markwell, 83, of Derby died on October 23, 2013, in Burlington.

She was born on August 28, 1930, in Canada, to Edward and Tessie (Gardyne) Washburn.  On July 29, 1950, she married Raymond Markwell, who survives her.

She was a member of the Baptist Church in Beebe, Quebec.  Her hobbies included cooking, doing puzzles, and she enjoyed going to church.  She liked to ride around the back roads in the area and she loved her grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  She was very close to her sister Esther.

She is survived by her children:  Norman Markwell of Newport, Catherine Bennett and her husband, Mike, of West Charleston, Diane Galeucia and her husband, Gordon, of Texas, Keith Markwell and his wife, Denise, of Derby, and Susan Humes of Newport; her grandchildren:  Leo, Tim, Anthony, Gloria, Andrew, Phillip and Sarah; and by nine great-grandchildren.  She is also survived by her sister Esther and her husband, Clarence, of Beebe.

She was predeceased by her granddaughter Jennifer; two sons:  John and David; and by three sisters.

Funeral services were held on October 28, in Newport.  Interment followed in Griffin Cemetery in Griffin Corners, Quebec.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at

obit MarsdenPauline June Marsden

Pauline June Marsden, 72, of Island Pond died suddenly on October 23, 2013, in Morgan.

She was born on June 18, 1941, in Waltham, Massachusetts, to Steve and Marguerite (Hodsden) Fournier.  On June 28, 1955, she married Rodney Marsden, who predeceased her on June 30, 2004.

Her family was her life and she always enjoyed their visits.  She also enjoyed going to Foxwood and Mohegan casinos.  She liked to work in her garden, cook for family and friends, decorate her home, and more recently, travel with her companion, Dale Stewart.  She loved life and enjoyed helping the elderly and others in the community.

She is survived by her children:  Stephen Marsden and his wife, Chris, of Connecticut, Diana Marsden and Joseph Siok of Connecticut, Todd Marsden and his companion, Janice, of Connecticut, Mark Marsden of Vermont, Denise Marsden and her husband, Ron Pelletier, of Connecticut, Kimberly Burdo and her husband, Peter, of Missouri, and Cynthia Marsen and her fiancé, Tom Philipps, of Connecticut; 15 grandchildren; 14 great-grandchildren; her sisters:  Beatrice Castrogiovani of Island Pond, and Lorraine Farley of Derby; her sister-in-law Priscilla Morin of Massachusetts; her companion Dale Stewart of Derry, New Hampshire; and by several nieces and nephews.

She was predeceased by three brothers:  Stan, Robert and Ted; and by her sister Mary Ellen.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m., on Wednesday, October 30, at the Curtis-Britch-Converse-Rushford Funeral Home, at 4670 Darling Hill Road in Newport.  Interment will take place at a later date at Lakeside Cemetery.

Should friends desire, contributions in her memory may be made to the Pope Memorial Frontier Animal Shelter, 502 Strawberry Acres, Newport, Vermont 05855.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at

obit PerraultFrank A. Perrault

Frank A. Perrault of Westford died peacefully on October 22, 2013, at home, after a lengthy illness.

He was born on July 1, 1934, a son of Queen Allard and Albert Perrault of Newport.

During his childhood, he enjoyed playing board games and sports with friends.  Later in his teen years, he met the love of his life, Jan Langevin, who eventually became his wife of 59 years.  The couple spent their first two married years in Panama while Mr. Perrault served as a military policeman in the U.S. Army.  Shortly after, he enrolled as an accounting major at the University of Vermont.

He spent his professional career as a comptroller serving higher education accounting and finance departments at Trinity College, St. Michael’s College and the University of Vermont (UVM).  He later served as vice-president of finance/treasurer at McAuliffe’s Office Products, Vermont Copier, and Copytek, after he served as comptroller at House Mouse Designs.

Upon his retirement, Mr. and Mrs. Perrault enjoyed a cross-country adventure trip.  Soon after, they spent over ten years in selfless devotion while caring for their elderly parents in their home.

Mr. Perrault was an avid New England Patriots, Red Sox, and UVM hockey fan.  He enjoyed sharing season tickets with his grandchildren.

Surviving family members include his loving and devoted wife, Jan; his son Kyle of Buena Vista, California; and his daughter and son-in-law, Candis and Don Kjelleren, of Charlotte.  His grandchildren include:  David, Jenna, Steven, Perry and Hayden Kjelleren.

He was predeceased by his parents; his sister Constance Landry; and by his in-laws, Frank and Candis Langevin.

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m., on Saturday, November 2, at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Newport, where a Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated.  Interment will follow in St. Mary’s Cemetery in Newport.  There will be no calling hours.

Those wishing to contribute in his memory may send donations to the Visiting Nurse Association, 1110 Prim Road, Colchester, Vermont 05446.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at

obit perryMark Noel Perry

Mark Noel Perry, 54, of Brownington died on October 20, 2013, in Newport.

He was born on November 13, 1958, in Newport, a son Noel and May (Folson) Perry.  He attended Lake Region Union High School and later worked for Ethan Allen as a machine operator for 37 years.

He enjoyed hunting, fishing, traveling, walking, gardening with his beloved Sheila, and spending time with his grandchildren.  He was a jack-of-all-trades, an exceptional mechanic and driver, and he also was a soccer coach for St. Paul’s School.

He was past president of the men’s Veterans of Foreign Wars Auxiliary #798, Knights of Columbus of Orleans, former Soap Box Director, and a member of the St. Paul’s School Board Fund-raising Committee.

Mr. Perry is survived by his children:  Miranda LaPierre of Callowhee, North Carolina, Nicholas Perry and his fiancée, Meagan Marsh, of Derby, and Benjamin Perry of Randolph; a grandson, Devon LaPierre; his mother May Fortin and her husband, Rene, of Holland; his fiancée Sheila McFarlane of Orleans; his brothers and sisters:  Noni Moore and her husband, Brian, of Brownington, Linda Perry and her friend, Bill Crowley, of Holland, Luke Perry and his wife, Trisha, of Newport, Dean Perry and his wife, Lindy, of Brownington, Rosa Hathaway and her husband, Rick, of Florida, Neal Perry and his wife, Rebekah, of Brownington, and Brian Perry and his friend, Candy Hansen, of Rocky Hill, Connecticut; his numerous nieces and nephews; Sheila’s three sons:  Travis, Josh, and Joel; and he loved all the grandchildren:  Melody, Travis Jr., Braden, Mercedes, and Jonathon.

He was predeceased by his father Noel Perry on April 25, 1976.

Funeral services were held on October 25, in Orleans.  Interment will take place at a later date at the Brownington Village Cemetery in Brownington.

Should friends desire, contributions in his memory may be made to the Soap Box Derby, care of Dr. Norman Turcotte, 45 Clermont Terrace, Newport, Vermont 05855; or to St. Paul’s School, 85 St. Paul’s Lane, Barton, Vermont 05822.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at

obit prattMardy Pratt

Mardy Pratt of Johnson, formerly of Lowell, died on October 18, 2013, following a long illness.

He enjoyed fishing and camping with family, especially teaching his stepson Caleb how to fish.  He will be greatly missed.

He lived in Lowell from 2006 to 2012.

He leaves behind his fiancée Marcia Warner; his stepson Caleb Warner; and granddaughter Glycerine Ulendorff.  He also leaves behind a sister, Kelly Pratt, of Calais; and a brother, Robert Pratt, of Las Vegas, Nevada.  He also leaves his nieces and nephews, including Joshua, the oldest nephew who considered Mardy a father-figure.

The family will have a potluck on Saturday, November 2, at 12 p.m., at the Lowell Congregational Church, as a celebration of his life.

obit scelzaRichard J. Scelza

Richard J. Scelza, 60, of East Charleston, died peacefully, on Thursday, October 24, 2013, at his home.

He was born in Lebanon, New Hampshire, on January 14, 1953, to the late Angelo “Bromo” and Jeanne (Marcotte) Scelza of White River Junction.

He was known for his artistry in stone masonry.  His talents will warm many homes for generations to come.

He was employed by Eagle Eye Farm, where he took his job to heart and thought of his co-workers and clients as part of his family.

Among his many talents and knowledge, he was a master at gardening and sugarmaking.  One could say he was a passionate sugarmaker.  His business was called Willoughby Lake Sugarmakers.  He enjoyed teaching the art of sugarmaking to his children and grandson Brendan.

He was a dedicated husband, father, brother, and grampy.

Brave is a word that best describes Richard.  He fought a tough battle with cancer and one thing was for sure, he did it his way.

He is survived by his wife, Gail; their son Scott Scelza and his wife, Cally Moulton, and their children, Brendan, Emma, and Gracie; his son Jeffrey Scelza and his fiancée, Jessica Welch, and their daughter, Allayna; his sister Carol and her husband, Greg Stevens, of Tunbridge; his brother Tom Scelza of Orleans; his sister-in-law Joan of White River Junction; his sister Mary Lou Scelza of White River Junction; and by his brother Michael of White River Junction.  He also leaves behind his aunt Connie Lenard of Windsor; his aunt Anna Scelza of North Hartland; along with many cousins, and his nieces and nephews who considered him their favorite uncle.  He will also be missed by his in-laws:  Rikki and Anthony Zarbo of Fenton, Missouri; and Debbie and Brian Yacks of New Baltimore, Michigan.  He also leaves behind many friends who knew him as R.J.

He was predeceased by his brother Gary of White River Junction.

There will be a gathering at the Westmore Town Hall in Westmore on Saturday, November 2, at 1 p.m.  The town hall is near Willoughby Lake, where he loved to be on his boat.  Please come share a story or two about him while we celebrate his life.

Albert Vaart

Albert Vaart died on October 26, 2013, at his home in Jay, just short of 96 years of age.

He was born on November 5, 1917, in Tartu, Estonia.

He had been a resident of the Northeast Kingdom since 1989, arriving from New Jersey soon after his retirement.

He was a veteran of World War II, serving as a pilot for the Estonian Air Force and then the German Air Force on the Eastern Front against the Soviet Union.  He was shot down in February of 1945, but he parachuted to safety.  Badly injured, he was found by German forces and transported to a hospital near Munich.  Over many months, he was restored to health.

He emigrated to New York City in 1951, where he was reunited with his wife, Hedvig, and their young son, Andres, who had arrived in America the year before and whom he had not seen since Andres’ birthday late in 1944.

In New York City, Mr. Vaart went through a dozen years of night school, eventually earning a PhD in civil engineering.  He found work in the design and manufacture of paper goods, developing and deploying new computer design systems with the West Virginia Paper and Pulp Company.

His avocation and love was music.  In the New York City area, he sang in and led choirs in the Estonian community and in the Estonian Russian Orthodox Church.

After his retirement at 70, and widowed, he moved to the Northeast Kingdom, buying a home near Troy.  The location reminded him of his native Estonia, and he wanted to be near a flight school comrade living nearby in Canada.  Amazingly, Mr. Vaart returned to flight school in Newport.  At the age of 75, he soloed again for the first time since the war.

Helping him build his Vermont life was a local resident, Clemence Leblond, who had sold him his house near Troy.  The two developed a deep friendship and love.  Clem’s love and loyalty sustained Albert through numerous illnesses and the growing weakness of his later years.  They traveled together, ate together, and sang and played together at Albert’s electronic organ.

He left behind Clem and the many members of her family that supported the two — they were a second family to him.  Along with them, surviving are Andres and his wife, Tracy, of Reston, Virginia; and Albert’s grandson, Ryan, and his wife, Lynn, of Arlington, Virginia.

A graveside service will be held on Thursday, October 31, at 3 p.m., at the Brownington Village Cemetery, with the Reverend Timothy Naples officiating.

Online condolences may be sent to the family through the funeral home website at

bookmark icon